Sunday, April 27, 2014

#12 Final Summary/Reaction

As I have concluded my research I am beginning to analyze the results. I am a little overwhelmed when analyzing because as I knew prior to this semester project, politics is not black and white. Someone can be republican while still believing that the government should have stronger gun legislation. Through these mixed responses it is difficult to weave through and estimate whether they are one party or another. I have also concluded that many of the results from the 14-22 age group will answer questions based on their exposure in their generation. For example, since I fall into the 14-22 age group, I have witnessed the awful massacre shootings that have taken place over the past couple of years. As this number of shootings increase per year, I can, with a well researched assumption conclude that we might need stronger gun legislation. This belief compared to someone who is in the 40-60 year range will be different because adults may have more traditional thoughts based on what they have seen on the news in their teenage years. Since younger people in the 21st century are exposed to more gun violence than what the 40-60 year olds experienced when they were younger, it changes their perspective on what they believe, therefore, having a democratic belief on gun legislation. I have also noticed a correlation with 40-60 year olds between the job their parents had versus the job they have or have had. Many whose parents had a white collar job, also have/had a white collar job. Similarly, with blue collar jobs, many whose parents had a blue collar job, they also have/had a blue collar job. Those with parents who did not work, also don't work. It was interesting to see how the social class may not have changed regarding jobs. In the survey, adults usually stayed in the job range that their parents had.

As far as my hypothesis goes, I am on target with the prediction that adults will have a greater autonomy compared to teenagers who may be mixed based on their position in society and their current environment. The teenagers that took my surveyed proved to be more mixed about different political beliefs, I am assuming half of it is because they don't really know the background of a lot of policies. I am also assuming that their guesses are based off of their experience in the 21st century. Teenagers now a days are live in a less traditional society compared to adults who lived in a more conservative society. Today teenagers are exposed to sex, violence, and drugs on TV, which is what you would rarely see back in the 20th century. I believe the environment of the 21st century is what influenced the teenagers who took my survey. They are exposed to the increase of massacre shootings on the news and they are exposed to the drugs that are viewed in many TV shows and movies. Many teenagers are also probably listening to their parents conversations regarding money, and may agree because they see the point of view of their parents' situation. It all depends on environment and what situation a person is in.

After this semester project I feel as though I have a more comprehensive overview of what my topic entails. I have understood the sociological background of different political debates, while also understanding that politics is not black and white. Through this semester project I have also noticed how the evolving social change impacts political beliefs and what that may bring in future generations. Understanding politics is not short and concise, you have to have an open mind and understand that not everything is two sided. There are many different interpretations on many different debates and you have to make sure that you do your research before you hold an opinion. It's safe to say that I am not scared of politics anymore, I know how to analyze date more clearly and how to identify the different political views on different topics. I have understood my topic and now am applying it to the people of society. My results are successful and it gave me great insight into learning about my topic on a deeper level.

No comments:

Post a Comment